Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Update - more about me...

So, I said that I have no motivation to diet or exercise.  Well...I'm not sure how motivated I am...but I am doing both.  Here's the thing...I gained weight when I got married and going through a really difficult transition time...into marriage, the workforce, a new place, ministry.  When I finally felt comfortable and at least semi-stable in those things, I got pregnant.  Basically...I kept almost all the weight that I gained while pregnant with Abby.  And with her, I gained a ton.  I kept it through two more pregnancies where I gained very little and lost it quickly...without trying.  I've kept the weight for 9 years now.  But honestly, I feel like I have learned how to emphasize my assets, dress my shape well, use make-up, jewelry and my hair to put together a pretty fantastic and, well...pretty picture.  So...having said that I did have gestational diabetes with Nate and run the risk of getting Type II.  Every time I get blood work, my sugar levels are borderline...so my doctor is encouraging me to be mindful of diet and exercise.  My mom is constantly trying to motivate to me to lose the weight.  She actually did motivate me by losing about 50 pounds in the last year doing Atkins.  But I think the push that solidified the choice is Troy.  He very much wants to lose weight and very consistently pursues that, but it is hard to diet when you are the only one in the house doing it.  So, I am doing it for my man.
We are doing Atkins because it obviously works for my body type.  Both of my parents are doing amazing on it.  Troy is finding success as well.  And he is dragging me to the Y when we don't have some other commitment in the evening (some weeks work better than others).  I had been just walking on the treadmill...trying to increase my time or distance walking, but, today, I remembered that my doctor said that I should be lifting weights because it burns more sugar than cardio.  So I did both, and I really enjoyed it.  It was fun to have a Troy as my own personal trainer and doing the weights really made my time walking more beneficial.  We will see what happens.

No comments: