Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hair: A Color Story - now featuring the tresses of me.

Where to begin...
A few weeks ago, Troy helped me color my hair.  For those of you that don't know, he has been doing it for years.  He is really good at highlights...normally.  Well, this time he did an awful job.  It was all globby and the highlights didn't go all the way down my hair.  Even Troy finally said "you have to do something about your hair."  So, I used one of my normal boxes (a dark brown, all over color)...it didn't work.  The highlights bled through...so they still looked just as bad but in a different color.  UGH.  Then Natalie came over with fabulous red hair, and I thought that's what I'll do.  Well, I bought 3 boxes of dark red/burgundy/auburn dye.  After church last night, Michelle came over, and we finally picked the same color that Natalie used.  It said on the box that it was intense light auburn for naturally dark hair.  I have naturally dark hair...it just hasn't been naturally dark for years.  Anyway, I put the color on my hair, and I set the timer.  Then I sat down with Michelle, and we started talking.  After awhile, I went to check how much time I had left...and it turns out I didn't START the timer!  So, Michelle and I were trying to figure out how long it had been...had enough time past?  I would have been smart to say I should probably wash it out.  But instead, I gave it 10 more minutes.  I finally got in the shower and was in there for at least 30 minutes.  THE WATER NEVER RAN CLEAR.  Seriously, even in the shower this morning, it never ran clear.  My scalp was a special color of fuchsia last night.  It is a little better today.  I have named my hair Goth: The Red Edition.  I kind of like it, though, maybe...I think my inner rebel is pleased.  Who knows if I will keep it, but I have dyed my hair 3 times in as many weeks...I think the hair needs a break.


Ian (as we went outside):  Mom, did you dye your hair red?
Me:  yes
Ian:  It doesn't look good on you.
Me:  Thanks, hon.

A little later (inside):
Ian:  Mom, I like your hair.
Me:  You said it didn't look good.
Ian:  Well, outside, it looked red.  Inside, it looks black and red, and that's cool.

UGH.  Let the Georgia jokes begin, Jason.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Kelly, I've dyed my hair red out of the box before many times and my hair would run red in the shower weeks after. It's just the thing with red sometimes. :) I can't wait to see it, I'm positive you look beautiful.

Unknown said...

Picture! Picture!!

My hair turned cheetoh orange once after dying it from a box - I'm surprised you had so many issues since normally your hair looks great when you and Troy do it. So sorry - but can't wait to see it!!

Inner rebels unite!