Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Temptation

SO, tonight's Fireproof study was all about temptation. Basically, we have two options as Christians. We can resist temptation or we can run from it. I wonder...which is more spiritually mature? Run or resist...resist or run... First, I think it is worth noting that if you are giving in to temptation the easy answer to this question is that both are more spiritually mature than what you are doing. Going beyond that, though...does it show more faith/discipline/maturity/wisdom to make sure you are so removed from the situation that tempts you that you cannot give in or to be in the situation and be able to say no. I think that there is wisdom in avoiding situations that are tempting...alcoholics shouldn't hang out in bars, people dating shouldn't hang out alone, shopaholics shouldn't have 6 credit cards they can't pay. BUT I think it shows victory to be in a tempting situation and not sin. With the gift of free will, God constantly asks us to choose. He wants us to choose Him over everything else. If we always run from the choice, how can we ever say I choose You over every other love. You are my one desire, Lord. We can't...taking away the option does not mean victory over the sin. Facing temptation head on and saying "Lord, I choose You. I love You more." is victory.

No comments: