Friday, June 25, 2010

Say it ain't so...

So, I love the song California Gurls by Katy Perry.  (I know...guilty pleasure)  I was confused, though, because I thought she was British.  I guess I thought that because there was the whole who is better her or Lily Allen thing when I Kissed a Girl first came out...also because of the Russell Brand connection.  Anyway, so I was thrown off because her song is about how wonderful California girls are...and she isn't one...right?  So, of course, I googled her.  She is in fact from California...Santa Barbara to be exact.  Not interesting enough to blog about.  But I also found out that her parents are ministers.  Everything I read said that she was raised in a Christian home with limited outside influence, going to Christian schools and only being allowed to listen to gospel music.  UGH.  I am so frustrated.  I don't know if you have heard either of the aforementioned songs, but I NEVER would have guessed that they came from a good, Christian girl.  Between her and Jessica Simpson, the secular world must have an awfully skewed view of what it means to be in ministry or grow up with parents who know and love the Lord.  Joe and Tina Simpson are horrible examples of Christian parents...but they are the ones the MTV audience know.  We have such a responsibility to be lights in this dark world, but how can we overcome the worldliness of the ones the world thinks are the set apart ones?!?!

No comments: