Saturday, June 12, 2010

Going Down

So, I think that one of the most amazing things about God is the contrast between magificent Creater and intimate Savior.  I love to marvel over how the God of all that I see is the God of me.
One of the times that I wonder over that dicotimy is when I realize He pursues those that are His.  He doesn't need to...He owns the cattle on a thousand hills...He created it all, but I am valuable enough to Him for Him to pursue me when I stray.  It's not just me.  He pursues any wayward child...either through His Word, work, worship...His way or through the circumstances of this world.  To quote Beth "God says to us in our times of sin, 'You can bend your knee or I can break your legs but either way you are going down."
The story of the lost sheep and the story of the prodigal son portray each type of pursuit.  With the lost sheep, the Shepherd goes and searches for the lost sheep.  He seeks the runaway in the gentleness found in our Shepherd.  With the prodigal son, the Father lets the son go and the circumstances of a harsh, fallen...evil world send the son home running.  The lost sheep belonged to the Shepherd as the prodigal son belonged to the Father.  They were His and they both came home...by very different means.  He cared about both of them enough to know what they needed to lead them home to Him.
In my rebellion, my God pursues me the way He knows I will respond because He wants me with Him.  How amazing is that?  I am watching a friend be pursued by a loving Savior.  It's amazing.  It was hard to watch the rebellion especially knowing that the pursuit could be painful, but it's turning out so well.  God is amazing and watching Him work is wonderful.

No comments: