Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Proud

I have a wonderful husband and love when he teaches me about God through is his example.  I love seeing God work in him and through him.  Right now, I am getting to watch God transform him; it is amazing.  I am learning so much.
Troy was being very honest during his first sermon in the Fireproof series when he said that marriage is a difficult thing for him.  It always has been.  He is a fiercely independent man...so to function as half of one whole is completely contrary to who he is.  In twelve years of ministry, eight of which spent preaching once or twice weekly, he had never preached on marriage.  On purpose. 
Having said that, what has been happening with Jason has really affected Troy in a great way.  I think that helping Jason through the extreme difficulties in his marriage has helped Troy appreciate our marriage more...not that I am thankful for the pain that Jason and Shauna have been dealing with, but it has given Troy the opportunity to be obedient to God in a way I never thought he would. 
Saying yes when God asked him to offer to do marriage counseling taught me 2 things about my husband.  First, he loves Jason more than I understood.  He never would have considered doing this for someone else...he never has before.  Secondly, I realized how committed to Godly obedience he is.  He knew (because John told him) that if God was laying it on his heart to offer and he didn't and they ended up divorced, Troy would feel responsible...because he would be responsible.  Troy understood that as a shepherd of the flock God entrusted to him, he had a responsibility to care for each one as God asked him to.  God asked him to tend to Jason and Shauna.  Troy is what God is using to mend them. 
Our marriage is reaping the benefits of his obedience.  Troy appreciates me more, shows his love more actively...demonstratively.  He is more considerate, slower to anger with me, more graceful.  I am so proud of Troy...that he is willing to obey...week after week...it's hard work.  Sometimes I wonder if all the hard years were worth it to be at this place now.

No comments: