Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Passion: Chris Tomlin

I am a people watcher. I love seeing the truth behind a statement or action by watching its portrayer. It fascinates me to see how people respond or react and wonder what the response means. Obviously, the better you know someone the more likely you are to be correct in your assumption about their feelings. All that to say, I could be completely wrong in everything I am about to say because Chris Tomlin and I aren’t real close =)
There are tons of amazing worship leaders. At Passion, there are no less than 6 phenomenal ones. But I love Tomlin. Aside from the fact that his voice is amazing and the words to his songs usher you into God’s presence, I think his goal is our experience with Jesus…not hit songs, money, fame…or even the art of what he does. Every year for the past few at Passion, Chris has written a whole new set of praise and worship songs. To watch him lead worship is beautiful because he is most excited when the people he is leading are enveloped in worship to their Creator, Sustainer and Savior. It’s like when he is writing he is thinking about the moment at Passion (or wherever) that people will be so caught up in Christ that he in irrelevant in the process.
I love it…because that must bring so much honor to our Lord. To see someone who could (and, honestly, he could) be in it for himself give all the glory to God. How beautiful.

No comments: